Saturday, June 25, 2011

Overcoming bad habits

I have this really bad habit of biting my nails. I've been doing it since I was about 5 years old. For me, it's something I do mostly when I'm stressed or anxious about something (such as an exam or paper) and sometimes when I'm just bored. I pick at my nails and cuticles moreso than bite them, but nevertheless, it's obviously not good for my nails or my teeth.

I've actually chipped my bottom middle tooth twice because of biting my nails. Once sometime last year and most recently, this past week. I went to the dentist on Thursday to get my tooth filled/fixed and now it's fine, but I know I have to get serious about stopping this terrible habit.

I've attempted to stop several times by letting my nails grow out a little and paint them with nail polish, but that hasn't worked for me because I like keeping my nails short. Trimming/filing them also hasn't worked for me because it doesn't offer the same stress relief, for some reason, as nailbiting/picking does. I think I'm going to try getting some nailbiting-specific nail polish that tastes disgusting. Maybe that'll help kick this bad habit...
1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Do you have any bad habits that you've overcome or are having trouble overcoming? What's helped and what hasn't?


5 comments:

little said...

i used to bite my nails ALL the time. my solution was just painting them super cute then i wouldn't want to ruin the nail polish :)) what i do now is bite the inside of my mouth (eww right?). i do it when i'm thinking or nervous.

love, little.

Toni Rose said...

old habits die hard :/

i dont bite my nails.. but i do have a tendency to cut it without using a nail cutter :)) that's when im bored and i have nothing to pick on, i end up having bad manicure and sometimes a bleeding finger :/

threetimesf said...

I'm an awful one for bitin gmy nails too - I gave up for a few years but the stress of my uni finals was just too much for my poor talons to escape!
I've been using the 'bite ender' type stuff lately - tastes disgusting! I also find chewing gum helps - nice to have something else in your mouth...
Good luck! :)

Melissa_Loves_Broccoli said...

I was a long time nail biter and still do on occasion when there is lots of extra stress, but usually I curb the habit. When I was breaking the habit I chewed gum, because it was yucky when a fragment of nail would get caught up in my winter fresh. Now I keep them short by clipping, it seems once I have them long if one breaks I cut loose and bite em all. :) GOod Luck!

Kate said...

I was an avid nail biter up until last summer. I tried EVERYTHING to stop biting them. You know what the trick was for me? To stop consuming caffeine, and decrease the overall stressors in my life. Do you drink caffeine, or consume a lot of sugar?

Divergent Musings

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting Go Grad Girl! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...